Question One:
In looking at the gradual release model on page four, what “part” do you feel like you need to work on the most? Why? What are some ideas of how your might begin?
Question Two:
In examining focus lesson strategies, there are many that we have in place but that we don’t accurately carry out. What is one strategy from the chapter that you would like to begin trying to implement as completely and correctly as possible?
In looking at the model on page 4, I think I have a handle on "I do it" and "We do it" but struggle with "You do it together." I know the 21st century classroom will look and sound much different than how I was taught or even how I have taught. The concept rings true to me and I know the students will be much more engaged. Their learning will be deeper as they work together. Letting them get in there and do the learning is uncomfortable for me. Teaching them HOW to collaborate will be an essential key in their ability to work together and learn. That is where I would need to start. I need to think through the process and identify the steps to get them there. Giving students more control and responsibility over their learning flows so well with the 7 habits training we did this summer. I know it is a scary process to face such changes in what we have always known but I also know it is going to be better for children. Once we are there we will wonder how we ever taught any other way!
ReplyDeleteQuestion two:
ReplyDeleteAs for the focus lessons, I have really tried to be purposeful in my modeling. I learned in a Lucy Calkins training a great statement to help me be more purposeful to use throughout each lesson: Today, I am going to teach you to ___ (skill) by ___(strategy) because ___ (reason or purpose. Ex: Today I am going to teach you to add details to your writing by adding dialogue because when the reader reads what you said it can help them understand what happened. I have to consciously remember to be sure I know the skill and strategy I am trying to teach. The area I would like to really focus on is Teaching for Metacognitive Awareness. Helping students think through HOW they are applying the strategy and HOW it is helping them. I think using the questions would be very helpful to the students as well as to myself as we think through the use of a strategy. Another area I would like to work on is to keep notes of formative assessments to help plan for the next lesson. I like the idea of writing them on the board so we can see as a class where we are.
Question One:
ReplyDeleteDefinitely the "you do it together" phase. I think lots of us were used to thinking of gradual release as "I do, we do, you do" and now this extra step of "you do it together" and THEN "you do it alone" is new to me. I am excited about this implementation however at the same time worried about the time factor. We all know how we feel we have so much to fit in and not enough time to do it. However, all of the collaborative movement activities we have participated in in faculty meetings are perfect examples of working together and collaborating in this "do it together" way. It will be exciting for the students to try some of these same strategies we have used.
Question Two:
Hmmm- I think maybe the "explaining my thinking" may be the area on which I need to further work. I think I tell what we are going to learn and why but then do not follow through as thoroughly modeling my thinking aloud so the students can gain a sense of what's happening in that brain of mine. I will try to better carry out this strategy.
Leslie
Qustions 1: I know when teaching I often skip steps 2 and 3, guided instruction and collaboration, and go straight to students working independently on technology tasks. Because I taught gifted students for years and that involved engaging them in many collaborative projects, I feel very comfortable with step 3. What I need to work on the most is step 2, breaking students into appropriate groups for guided instruction. My comfort level is doing guided instruction as a large group.
ReplyDeleteQuestion 2: Implementing "direct explanation" completely and correctly is really important in teaching tech skills. I will continure to try to improve in this area. It is difficult to present a "clear sequence of instructions using consistent language and precise terminology," when we are all at different levels of expertise, our equipment is not all the same, and technology is constantly changing. But providing the best "direct explanation" I can is critically important as we "engage in high quality 21st century teaching and learning."
Question One:
ReplyDeleteIn looking at the gradual release model on page four, what “part” do you feel like you need to work on the most? Why? What are some ideas of how your might begin?
I need to work on the bottom two, “you do it together” and “you do it alone”. In both of my teaching situations as a German and ESOL teacher, time is truly my battle. In both situations I’m very limited between to between 30-50 minutes a day MAX with my students.
However, I feel like in both German and ESOL being able to teach my student’s how to be collaborative and independent with their learning and language ability is the ultimate goal. If both World Language and ELLs become collaborative and independent speakers and learners they can then be advocates for themselves.Being able to speak, learn and advocate will open up whole new opportunities and avenues for them.
One of the ways this can be facilitated for my ESOL students is to have them work in small groups both in class and out of class (with me). Their placement in small groups, in the classroom, needs to be carefully considered and closely monitored. There must be constant communication and collaborative planning between the classroom and ESOL teachers. This is where the clustering of ESOL students is most valuable because the students are covering the same materials and the ESOL teacher can provide additional differentiation as needed to meet the variety of needs of each student. Clustering of students also allows the ESOL teacher to do additional monitoring of students in the classroom setting by “pushing-in” and assisting the ESOL students during regular instruction.
Question One:
ReplyDeleteWhen reading this book I had 2 thoughts, 1: “I already do a lot of this!” 2: “I’ve never thought to do it that way.” The part I do not do often or sometimes at all is the collaborative, “You do it together,” piece. In reading and writing we do a lot of focus lessons, guided instruction and then independent work. The group work we do usually just has one piece of evidence and it really only shows what some of those students know. There isn’t a piece of work from each child and no real way for me to assess who knows what. The good thing is that I hope to take some of the ideas I already use and just put in place the type of assessment that will actually show me more about each student’s understanding. I don’t see this as something that is going to take a lot more work, just different thinking.
Question Two:
Modeling is one thing I think or thought I did well. It is also the thing that I keep reading about in some other books I’ve read over the summer about ELA. Modeling is everything! Students need to see what is expected and they seem to produce better results when they truly know what they are to accomplish. I want to be sure to state the purpose more precisely and really let students know why this is something that I am teaching them how to do. I also want to make sure I’m teaching and NOT telling them what to do. I think using the precise pattern they give on page 23 will help ensure that I am really modeling what they are to know correctly.
The part of the gradual release model I need to work on the most,especially in language arts, is collaboration. I feel the EM series provides opportunities for collaboration with the math learning games and activities. However, due to lack of time, I don't spend as much time with collaboration in ELA. I have students work in ELA groups with a "structured " format, ie. use the template to find the main idea, main character, author's purpose, etc. After reading "Better Learning...", I realize the thing I neglect to do is to require a "product" at the conclusion of the collaborative activity in ELA. There has been little accountability for members of these groups. I think this will make a big difference.
ReplyDeleteQuestion 2: I agree with Sherell and Katie and would like to be more purposeful when modeling. I love the Lucy Calkins statement Sherell shared. I agree with Leslie that sometimes I probably don't "explain my thinking" as well as I think I do. However, I would like to focus on metacognitive awareness using the four questions
ReplyDeleteexplained on page 28. I would like to try to implement these in my
classroom as a way for students to analyze their strategies to
problem-solve. The questions remind me of the "I THINK" problem-solving
system which was simply a visual method for students to be more aware of
metacognition. I'd like to find a way to make the process easier for
students to grasp and to use it consistently to be effective.
In regards to the parts of the gradual release model, I feel like I need to work on the "You do it together" phase. Mostly due to time, I jump directly to the independent practice after the guided instruction. I feel like I do this because it will take too long to explain my expectations for collaborative work. I may not be trusting that the kids will stay on task while collaborating with others. If I would take the time at the beginning of the year to teach the procedures for this type of work, it would work more smoothly and take less time throughout the year.
ReplyDeleteOne strategy I need to work on more when I teach a focus lesson is in thinking aloud. I do not explicitly think aloud very well in front of the students. Perhaps if I would script my thinking during the planning of my mini-lessons I would have more success in this area. I am guilty of assuming that the kids think the same way that I think because it feels so natural to me.
1 My challenge in the resource setting is to determine the most appropriate focus lesson to the various
ReplyDeleteneeds of the individuals in each group I serve. Accurately gauging when to move from guided to
collaborative to independent responsibility is also important for ensuring that my students grow in
confidence and success. If this goal is possible, I hope to become skillful in helping each individual
move from one level of responsibility as he is ready while working with others at the appropriate
levels for them.
I think I’ll begin by incorporating the 4-part model of gradual release in my lesson plan template.
2 I’d like to help my students move from cognition to metacognition. When teaching strategies for
solving word problems to my 5th grade math group, I’d like to post the four questions and model
thinking aloud and answering the questions:
What am I trying to accomplish?
What strategies am I using?
How well am I using the strategies?
What else could I do?
In thinking about the first question, I have come to realize that I am better at using certain strategies with certain grade levels. For example, with the lower grades I am probably not using the "you do it alone" piece as much as I would with the older students. As Julia stated, it is difficult to get it all in when you have limited time to teach a lesson in a special area or related art. Being reminded of these strategies will make me look more consciously for ways to include them all when I do have the opportunity to provide instruction. I need to "let go" when the time is right and allow our younger ones to take on more responsibility for their learning.
ReplyDeleteAs for Focus Lesson strategies, I am most excited about the Write Alouds and want to do a better job of implementing this idea. Again, time constraints often prevent me for incorporating writing into lessons that I teach in the Media Center-Leaning Commons. I am already looking for ways to "sneak in" writing more often. I enjoy writing, plus, this will go right along with our emphasis/focus on writing this year.
I need to work on the "Collaborative- You do it together" part of the Gradual Release Model. I am a banana and need to allow my students the opportunity to guide me and one another. There have been so many opportunities that the students share insight to their way of thinking that makes no sense to me but another child connects with it. In the Global learning community we are all teachers and learners in the classroom. I will work on this by planning for "You do it together" opportunities. I agree with Deborah that holding each group member accountable is essential.
ReplyDeleteAs for the focus lesson strategies, I think would like to work on being more precise with my modeling. Often I get too "wordy" thinking I am helping my students understand what it is I want them to learn and why instead of just being precise and to the point. I loved Sheryl's quote for modeling. I will definitely be using this in my classroom.
Question Two:
ReplyDeleteIn examining focus lesson strategies there are many that we have in place but that we don’t accurately carry out. What is one strategy from the chapter that you would like to begin trying to implement as completely and correctly as possible?
Teaching for meta-cognitive awareness is definitely the strategy that I would like to learn how to implement better. It is the skill that would most benefit my students. If they can learn how to do this then they can transfer that knowledge to any content to help them learn.
I’ve actually never intentionally taught this skill but the more I read about intentional, sheltered and structured instruction the more I think it would be really beneficial for my students. Within this strategy the concept of public problem solving would be greatly beneficial because it would allow for my students to see that everyone may, at times, have questions and it will also teach them about how to ask questions and more importantly that it is a good skill to have.
Question 1: In looking at the gradual release model I really feel I need to work on Section's 2 & 3 more especially with the younger grades. In the very nature of what I teach 1 and 4 are covered but having students work together can be a challenge in the art classroom. I started three years ago incorporating class critiques/assessments and small group critiques/assessments with the upper grades. This year I hope to begin a similar process with K-2. The smart-board has been a vivid tool in this process.
ReplyDeleteQuestion 2: I have to agree with Julia on this section, the meta-cognitive awareness approach is really intriguing. In reading about this process I kept thinking of how useful it would be to have students move from a simple practice a drawing into creating a plan or approach to their finished project. This idea really parallels how artist work from a sketch, to more detailed sketch, to plan for final image. It seems to begin to place more direct responsibility on the student for their personal growth and developments as an artist. It also seems to clearly help students direct their thinking to beginning with the end in mind.
I absolutely need to work in the area of collaborative learning. Even though I know I can always improve in all areas, collaboration is the area that needs the greatest growth with my teaching in the classroom. I do feel this is important. I am finding that students are having difficult communicating with one another respectively. Therefore, before I send the students off to collaborate, I need to model this as well. I am finding that behavior issues make me hesitant of this collaboration. So, one of the first steps I am taking is setting expectations, modeling the way I would like to hear students talk to one another, and taking things very slow. I am excited to try this new method in my classroom. B. Hubbard
ReplyDeleteWow! This question really made me reflect on my teaching. I feel like I do "think alouds" but I can definitely use improvement in this area. When I read "It is easy to get carried away with a think-aloud..." I thought, "Oh no, this is me!" I have a tendency to carry on longer than I probably should because I want the students to "get what I am trying to teach." However, I need to remember that this will continue to come back and the students will hear the message over and over again. So...I will really try to keep it short!
ReplyDeletePrimary students have difficulty communicating and making relationships. I agree with Barbara that there may be behavior issues involved but also the maturity level of my students.
ReplyDeleteModeling is the key. I also agree with Deborah that EM encourages gradual release as well as Daily 5.
I think aloud in writing mini lessons and read alouds but need to explain my thinking in all areas.
Question One:
ReplyDeleteWhen looking back over page 4, I thought that I need to spend more time in the "thinking aloud" for the focus lessons in all subjects. I feel that I do it sronger in some subjects than others. I also want to work more this year with the "Collaborative" portion with clear expectations for the students' group work.
Question Two:
I feel that I need to work on explaining the directons completely and clearly to make a quality focus lesson. Students need to see how to do things and why things are done to give background knowledge. Many times, I feel like I need to rush for time and will explaining how to do something but skip the why. I need to take the time to explain the purpose and the activites linked to the assigment.
Question One:
ReplyDeleteIn the gradual release model, the part I need to work on the most is the "we do it". I need to provide more support in guided practice to ensure the student will be successful in independent practice. My patience can run out fast during this phase of instruction! Guided practice does not have a time limit....the phase can go on for numerous sessions. The more time I spend supporting the student in this phase of the more prepared they will be to work on their own successfully!
Question Two:
A challenge in preschool is to keep the attention of the students. The focus lesson is particularly hard because it requires the students to focus on the teacher and what the teacher is modeling. If I were to use the demonstration technique it may be more engaging to the students. They would have a visual as well as a narrative of the information that is being taught.
Question 1:
ReplyDeleteWe have been using a gradual release model similar to the one on page four for several years, but this is the first time I have seen the step "You do it together". It makes great sense for the children to try something new with a buddy before trying it alone. Primary children have a hard time collaborating because they are so egocentric - everybody wants to be the "boss"! I will need to model and set very specific expectations for how this should look and sound. With lots of practice, I should be able to include this step with my first graders.
Question 2:
I would like to work on the area of my think alouds. I need to keep the focus "tight and brief", as it says on page 31. I tend to include too many details and the minilesson turns into a lengthy lesson that loses its impact. I need to keep the focus short and sweet!
Question one is an exciting prospect. In kindergarten, we have been using the gradual release method(I do, we do, you do)for several years with our literacy program. We have also included the collaborative learning approach in some areas but not as fully as the text recommends. I'm excited to work with the kindergarten team to see how we can increase the amount of collaborative learning that occurs in the classroom.
ReplyDeleteQuestion 2: What is one strategy from the chapter that you would like to begin trying to implement as completely and correctly as possible. I was happy to see Sherell’s post and her statement for a clearer direct teaching approach. I had been thinking along those lines as I read through the chapters. This year, I would like to focus on being very clear with the goals and instructions when teaching.
Question 1:
ReplyDeleteAs many people have said, I believe I need to work on the "You do it together" phase of the model. When I do have my students work collaboratively, I usually skip the "You do it alone" phase". I believe skipping the you do it together comes down to classroom and time management. I need to look at more often how a collaborative product can be produced and use my students as peer teachers. I think their teamwork will allow me to make things more rigorous when they bounce ideas off of each other.
Question 2:
I would really like to work on public problem solving. I believe I do it well in math, social studies, and science. However, I find it difficult to model my thinking during reading. Most of the time, my thinking is natural and I have trouble verbalizing it with my students. I have been working on verbalizing my thinking lately, but find myself using the same thinking strategies. I plan to continue to work on thinking aloud in my reading as I want my students to be thinking readers! I plan on sticking to a fewer amount of read alouds that I use all year and hopefully it will help me improve my public problem solving because I am more familiar, and my students are more familiar, with the text.
Question One
ReplyDeleteFourth Grade students are social – so giving students time to collaborate has been a successful strategy. My challenge is to make sure that during the collaborate process; I am providing students with chance to apply information in a new situation. I think that this would ensure that my students are becoming learners that are not dependent on others.
Question Two
An area that I am struggling with this fall is sharing my thinking while reading. I have always loved to read personally and don’t remember ever struggling while learning to read. I don’t think about my thinking when I am reading. I need to find out what I am thinking so I can share this thinking with my students! I need to visit Barbra H – if you need to shorten your thinking outloud – I need to extend mine!
I found “Teaching for Metacognitive Awareness” intriguing. I want to try posting those four questions and working through them while teaching a focus lesson.
I spend most of my time in the "I do it" and "we do it" phrases with the preschoolers. Model, model, model. We spend some time in the "you do it alone" and "you do it together" but supervision is still provided. Most of our children have delays in the communication/social areas and still need supervision/guidance.
ReplyDeletePreschoolers have limited attention spans so demonstrating and modeling while using brief directions is key for them. Too much explaining and they will move on to something else without you. We do think-alouds to some degree as we are demonstrating and as the children are carrying out the tasks. Visual and hands on with verbal direction is used most of the time.
Question 1
ReplyDeleteI agree with others that I need to allow more time for my students to collaborate. This allows time for the students to become leaders in the classroom. They have the opportunity to share with one another and to learn from one another.
Question 2
I need to work on the modeling part of my lesson. I do model but I think that sometimes I may extend the modeling part longer than needed. If we want our students to grow as learners we have to have effective modeling.
Question 1
ReplyDeleteI am very excited about this gradual release model. Modeling is something most early childhood teachers are used to doing. Like others have said, the "We do it together" step is new, but very exciting. I can't wait to work more on this process in my classroom as I learn more.
We have heard now for a few years, that "mini" lessons are the best. Like Debbie, I tend to try to teach too much in one lesson. After the reading the Daily Five, the CAFE, and then attending the Saturday writing workshop last year, I know this is an area I want to continue to improve. I want to work on making my think alouds shorter and with one focus or purpose.
Question One: In the Gym, I get to use all four of the methods in the model. It's really a natural thing, especially in the upper grades. The challenges for me occur with the youngest students, when I have trouble relinquishing control to allow collaboration and independent learning. So...that's where I will focus my energy to foster improvement.
ReplyDeleteQuestion Two: Public Problem Solving has always been present in my lessons, but not to a great extent. I've always felt that time is an issue, perhaps focusing on how much we as a class accomplish rather than the quality of the product. In an effort to improve this quality, I would like to focus more on Public Problem Solving with directed and focused think-alouds. This should surely keep the students engaged and moving forward. It's going to take focus on my part...and the students'.
Question One:
ReplyDeleteIn looking at the gradual release model on page four, what “part” do you feel like you need to work on the most? Why? What are some ideas of how your might begin?
I feel that the part that I should work on the most is the "You do it together" part. I feel that I often move through the model from the "I do" "We do" "You do" perspective, without providing students the time to complete the learning objective together. The "You do it together" is essential to helping the students become interdependent. In order to implement this portion of the model, I plan to begin assigning the students more problem-based learning experiences in which they will use the strategies modeled in the beginning steps of the model. These PBL experiences will be completed in collaborative groups in order to explore the modeled concepts before being expected to implement them independently.
Question Two:
In examining focus lesson strategies, there are many that we have in place but that we don’t accurately carry out. What is one strategy from the chapter that you would like to begin trying to implement as completely and correctly as possible?
I would like to work on Modeling in my lessons.I feel that this is something that I do well in most subject areas. However, after reading these chapters, I have realized that there are many more opportunities for me to model than I originally utilized. Modeling is essential, especially for students who are still developing, and are more dependent upon such practices.
Question One
ReplyDeleteI would like to improve on the collaborative aspect, especially getting the most out of the group experience for each student in the group. It has often been a challenge to get all students to contribute to the group and get the same amount out of their work. Some students are too talkative, others too shy, some overly confident, and some lack confidence when they really could be a key member to the group. When thinking how I could improve upon this, one line stood out, “The key to collaborative learning is the requirement for independent products from this group collaboration.” This will be one step in improving the collaborative process in my classroom. I got so much out of the different group activities (such as the 12,3,6,9 clock or the talking/not talking circle) we’ve done as a faculty in the past year and look forward to finding more ways like these to help my students. I also think teaching the 7 habits can improve this area.
Question Two
I would really like my students to build their metacognitive awareness. I often wonder how much students take out of what I teach them. We will often role play a parent/student dinner table situation with the classic “What did you learn at school today?” question. Reading this chapter made me think about metacognitive awareness during instruction. I’m a visual learner and I really like the idea of posting strategies where students can see them during the lesson, such as:
1. What am I trying to accomplish?
2. What strategies am I using?
3. How well am I using the strategies?
4. What else could I do?
I think this will help a lot of students stay focused and better understand their learning.
Chapters 1-3
ReplyDeleteQuestion One:
In looking at the gradual release model on page four, what “part” do you feel like you need to work on the most? Why? What are some ideas of how your might begin?
I am definitely in I do it, we do it, you do it mode. I will need to work on the collaborative part. My students need so much modeling and repetition. I have used the SRA reading program with my students for years and it’s proven to be very successful for most of the students I work with. It’s in your face direct instruction. It’s very scripted, fast paced and allows for constant communication between teacher and student. The program is so structured and so specific that it allows me to break down my groups for guided instruction and assess on a daily basis. So I do feel very strong in that area.
Question Two:
In examining focus lesson strategies there are many that we have in place but that we don’t accurately carry out. What is one strategy from the chapter that you would like to begin trying to implement as completely and correctly as possible?
I would really like to work on Write-alouds. I do model writing with my students but not to that extent. When students actually see and hear the writing process it makes it very clear and concise. I will definitely try to do more of this in the school year.
Question one: For me, reading about the gradual release model is like reading a manual for how to approach speech therapy! Therapy also begins with an I do it model which then turns into we do it and you do it together as they begin to improve their speech skills. And our ultimate goal is always you do it alone- I am always so curious about what my students sound like as they walk down the hall without their speech teacher standing over their shoulder. I think I need to work on the I do it phase as that is the part where I model and explain how to perform a certain speech skill. For the kids who do not catch on quickly, I am always searching for a new and better way to model and explain to them.
ReplyDeleteQuestion two: The You do it alone strategy is one I think I could do even more accurately by assessing my students' speech skills in places other than the speech room. In my room, the children are definitely more aware of their speech goals but to truly test the You do it alone strategy, I can do a better job of assessing them in other places such as the lunchroom or at car duty to see if they are really, truly remembering to use their good speech skills.
Question One: I think I need to work on the collaborative part because I've never been in a learning environment that is conducive to collaboration. I'm very familiar with guided instruction and independent learning (when a child demonstrates acquisition of a new skill).
ReplyDeleteQuestion Two: I would like to find creative ways to establish the focus of the lesson. Establishing a purpose and modeling are critical to learning. The focus should be clearly thought out and precise.
Question 1
ReplyDeleteThe pressure of fitting everything in led to lessons where I took away opportunities for students to collaborate. I did the modeling piece and the think aloud. I even did the guided practice, but then often moved to independent practice before students were given an opportunity to collaborate with peers. If we were in a time crunch, then that was the piece was cut. A way to combat this would be to plan lesson that intentionally divide instruction into these components. Planning, planning, planning is essential- purposeful planning that is specific.
Question 2
I think primary grade teachers are very adept at thinking aloud. It is so much a part of what they do everyday and all day that I wonder if they do that at home with their husbands and with random people they speak to in the general public. As an upper grade teacher, I felt comfortable modeling my thinking in writing lessons and in reading strategy lessons, but I did not do enough thinking aloud in the other areas. It was so effective when teaching writing. I don’t know why it did not occur to me to be more intentional about thinking out aloud in the content areas. I wish I could get those poor children back and “fix it”.
I feel confident that “I do it”, “we do it”, and “do it together” is happening in my classroom. I implement “think, turn, and talk” so students can share and reflect with peers, but I could benefit by moving further into the “you do it alone” stage as students mature.
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed Teri’s challenge of “sneaking in” writing more often. As we work toward this year’s writing goals, we will all be challenged to “sneak in” more writing.
I feel like I need to work on the collaborative part the most for the students. Some subjects lend themselves to collaboration easier than others and I would like to work on that some more. My plan is to develop and/or readjust lessons so they will incorporate a collaborative part.
ReplyDeleteQuestion Two:
In examining focus lesson strategies, there are many that we have in place but that we don’t accurately carry out. What is one strategy from the chapter that you would like to begin trying to implement as completely and correctly as possible?
One strategy from the chapter that I would like to implement is metacognitive awareness because I feel like that is where I am at in terms of focus strategies.
Question 1
ReplyDeleteI’m interested in working on the collaborative learning piece of the model. My students are seated in “collaborative groups”. However I feel that these groups can go much deeper. Students currently work together to solve problems. They need more intentional instruction on how to collaborate so that they can better meet the high expectations of the EAGLE class. I believe the first step will be to teach how to think deeper. I plan to have students use flip books with Bloom’s questions so that they practice asking questions that go further than knowledge level. Hopefully this will strengthen their critical thinking as they discuss ideas and information.
Question 2
I want to work on modeling. (Seems like a great career move!) Seriously, I took to heart the information on modeling in a focus lesson and used that throughout the first week of my classes. I was impressed at the level of understanding this created for my students! Who would have thought this purposefully planned explanation could lead to such greater success! I will continue to practice and hone my new skill.
Question 1
ReplyDeleteI agree with many of the other posts in that I need to improve on the collaborative discussion with students in groups. Especially during classroom guidance with older grade levels, this is a necessary component that often gets left out due to time constraints. And, on the flip side, when adding more such group opportunities, my challenge is how to make sure all group members are contributing members who feel their input is valued.
Question 2
I think that the modeling and think-alouds are a strength for me. Sometimes, though, I may do this too much.
The basis for gradual release reminds me of the old PET model. Tell me, show me, involve me and summarize what experiences were inculcated from the lesson. In an old text, Reforming Education, by Moritmer Adler he states that the best style of teaching is "coaching" in which experiences specifically designed by the instructors, teachers and coaches must be followed by discovery (practicing) on the part of the learner. Sound familiar? The gradual release model is a deliberate attempt at instruction that is designed, delivered and modeled by the teacher. You do it, we do it, I do it! It filters down to the students who in turn practice with the teacher/coach where eventually the learning experience is practiced by the individual to the point it becomes a life skill. Athletics is a great example of gradual release. It's as easy as well, learning to tie a knot, ride a bike, hit a ball, etc, etc…
ReplyDeleteChapters 1-3
ReplyDeleteQuestion One:
In looking at the gradual release model on page four, what “part” do you feel like you need to work on the most? Why? What are some ideas of how your might begin?
In the PE setting I find that the four models flow one in to another quite well, but I do feel like it is hard at times to accomplish #4 “You do it alone” because of time, equipment, and space constraints. I do think that #3 “You do it together” is very valuable to the learning process but it is important to set up who the “you” groups are or this can backfire and no learning is accomplished because certain students may not work well together. I will focus on making steps #3 & #4 (when possible) a positive learning experience in a physical setting for my students.
Question Two:
In examining focus lesson strategies, there are many that we have in place but that we don’t accurately carry out. What is one strategy from the chapter that you would like to begin trying to implement as completely and correctly as possible?
A combination of Direct Explanation and Demonstration is what I would like to focus on for the future. I have found that when I give one or the other students have a difficult time understanding and performing tasks and then I have to go back and give a demonstration and/or give a better explanation. But when I give an explanation and a full demonstration (teacher and/or student performed) the tasks seem to move much smoother for the majority of the students and in the end time is actually save compared to when I have to go back and add it back in. So I am going to focus on making sure I give both before asking students to perform new physical activity tasks.
Max McKeown
I think that the area that I need help in the gradual release model "you do it together". I feel I do a good job at making sure I model the lesson, doing it together and then allowing them to do it independently. I feel that I have already tried to find ways to have the student do it together. In our collaborative meetings we have shared many ideas that prompt the students to “do it together”.
ReplyDeleteI think a strategy I could work on would be to make sure I am explaining in detail what and why the students are performing a certain lesson. I think if I work on this area I won’t have so many questions later on and the students will feel more comfortable with their work. They will understand why they performed the activity and how it will help them later on in their learning.
Question one:
ReplyDeleteThe part I feel I need to work on the most would have to be modeling and releasing to the students. This is something that can be difficult with older students; as most of them get nervous with more rigorous material to explore and complete on their own. I understand that with proper modeling and the proper gradual release it should not be difficult for studnets, but I wonder how many will be self motivated enough to work hard.
desire to work hard or dig deeper?
Question two:
I would like to start implementing modeling more of writing… This is an insecurity of mine and I need to get over it and write in front of my students so they can see that it is ok to make mistakes and how to stay on topic. With our time so limited in the day I find it almost impossible to have true writing lessons anymore; and that scares me!
Cathy Poe
After reading the first 3 chapters of “Better Learning Through Structured Teaching” I have been enlighten my understanding as to how complicated the teaching and learning process can be when put under the microscope and described with such detail. When working with young children I see many of the events described in the first three chapters in this book as a very natural process. I see teachers modeling thinking many time a day, which is described as “find your authentic voice when you think aloud”, found on page 32. And WOW, I like the statement on page “assessment should not merely be done to students; rather, it should be done for students, to guide and enhance learning” found on page 45
ReplyDeleteI would like to begin focusing on the collaborative, “we do it together” part. I feel I do not focus on this as much as I do on “I do it”, “we do it”, and “you do it alone”. In order to make collaborative learning most effective, I must have confidence in modeling, set clear expectations, and provide lots of practice.
ReplyDeleteThe focus lesson strategy I would like to begin implementing is teaching metacognitive awareness. I agree this is truly a lifelong phenomenon. How powerful it would be if all students took ownership in their learning by analyzing outcomes, monitoring their thinking, and using many skills and strategies to solve problems. I agree with Mark that posting the strategies would help the visual learners and serve as a reference to all students.
Question 1 - As most people have stated, I would like to focus on the collaborative part. Reading this chapter reminded me of an episode of "What Not to Wear." The people always do better when Stacy and Clinton are shopping with them on Day 2! It's because Stacy and Clinton skipped straight to "You do it alone" after they show them the outfits they've picked out. (Sorry for those of you who have never seen this show. This analogy really makes sense if you know the show!)
ReplyDeleteQuestion 2 - The focus lesson strategy I'd like to work on is metacognitive awareness. I think third graders are just getting to the point where they are able to communicate their thinking well enough that it is helpful to their classmates. Students always learn just as much, if not more, from their peers as they do their teachers. I feel that I am pretty strong at teaching metacognition in ELA. I think that our math series has taught me how to model this and I have also been using some AIMS activities in science that have been helpful in guiding me through metacognitive awareness in that subject area.
Question#1: In looking at the “A structure for successful instruction” model on page 4, it reminds me of the way we teach in a word language classroom, I already teach this way. First the teacher is responsible to teach the vocabulary words in the target language and then she guides the students to have conversations and finally students are independently having individual conversations with each other. It’s very important to keep this in mind throughout the language development process. As a bilingual individual having to learn a second language had help me in my classroom because I clearly understand the concept of the teacher and the student’s responsibility when it come to learning a second language.
ReplyDeleteIn focusing in the 21st century classroom it’s important to stay away from traditional teaching. It’s very important in implementing collaborative learning in each and every lesson. I am committed to making my classroom a challenging environment where all of my students can learn a second language.
Question #2:
In the world languages classroom it’s very important modeling and demonstration on the target language, this way the student have a clear understanding of what is your expectation. Sometimes I found myself telling rather than modeling. To help me carry out these strategies I will follow the precise pattern: 1) Name the strategy, skill, or task. 2) State the purpose of the strategy, skill or tack. 3) Explain when the strategy o skill is used. 4) Use analogies to link prior knowledge. 5) Demonstrate how the skill, strategy, or task is completed. 6) Alert learners about errors to avoid. 7) Assess the use of the skill. After reading this book I discover different ways to address the needs of my students. I can fairly say I am glad we can develop our teaching strategies.
Question One: In looking at the gradual release model on page 4, what "part" do you feel like you need to work on most? Why? What are some ideas of how you might begin?
ReplyDeleteIn kindergarten, we have been using the gradual release model with balanced literacy, but the Collaborative-"You do it together." is an area that I would like to work on more. I feel that "I do it", "We do it", and "You do it alone" are areas that I do have a handle on. In my classroom, I would like to provide more time for my students to work and learn more from each other. The collaborative process is a time for the students to apply what they learn into new situations and/or to engage in a spiral review of their previous knowledge.
Question Two: What is one strategy from the chapter that you would like to begin trying to implement as completely and correctly as possible.
Modeling in a precise pattern is a strategy that I would like to continue to implement and work on more in my classroom. I liked the statement on page 24 about when learners have a skill or strategy modeled and not just told, they gain a deeper understanding for application and how to analyze their success. By providing the correct modeling and addressing all the steps, I feel I am preparing my kindergarten students to be proactive with their thinking and better preparing them for the 21st century.
#1 - Each therapy session consists of a focus lesson, guided instruction and independent practice. The SLP provides instruction for correct placement, etc, then the SLP and student work on the correct production of the target sound together. The last part of the session is spent having the student practice without assistance. With my older students they could possibly have a collaborative time, but with such a limited amount of time for each session, I am not so sure that the 'do it together' time is essential for learning (especially since each student is focusing on a different target sound).
ReplyDelete#2 - As a speech therapist, I already use modeling and direct instruction everyday in my sessions. They are essential components to success for my students.
Question 1... The part of the model I feel I need to work on the most is collaboration with a more focused intent. I know I allow my students to collaborate, but after reading this chapter, I question if I have that focused intent that makes it more meaningful. I will plan with more intent, observe, and reflect on this aspect.
ReplyDeleteQuestion 2...The strategy I would like to focus on the most is teaching for metacognitive awareness. Being aware makes you smarter, more effective, more focused, more curious, more... and better... everything. Thinking about thinking is fascinating to me. I want to know how the brain works, and why everyone’s' is slightly different, and what makes it that way. Thinking about thinking, thought processes, causes a shift in our paradigms. Just imagine... oh the thinks you can think!!!
I feel very confident with the gradual release model within my classroom; so many of the components within a kindergarten classroom begin with this exact process and model. Our balanced literacy program is a perfect example of “I do, we do, & you do”. Through examples and modeling, the students see how “I do”,” we” then work together as I guide the child helping him/her gain confidence…..The child then is set off for the final phase, “you do”. The area of collaborative learning takes place within small group settings in my classroom, but it is an area that I would like to expand. I know that much is to be learned and taught if children are given the opportunity to practice these strategies.
ReplyDeleteI agree with others stating that children need to be given more opportunities to be leaders in the classroom by allowing them to collaborate and learn from each other naturally.
Question Two:
I would like to focus more on the strategy behind modeling. Not to simply “show” students, but help them understand the process more thoroughly. I agree that by doing this effectively, children then begin to understand how to think more independently deepening understanding and be able to apply themselves’ more readily.
Question 1
ReplyDeleteI often have allowed time restraints to forgo a student product at the conclusion of a classroom guidance lesson as well as a small group session. My focus will be to intentionally plan for this component of the gradual release model to increase student accountability. This can also be adapted to working with students individually.
Question 2
In examining focus lesson strategies, there are many that we have in place but that we don’t accurately carry out. What is one strategy from the chapter that you would like to begin trying to implement as completely and correctly as possible?
I will direct my attention to verbally crafting a “straight path” for students to follow and (this is going to be tough!) to decrease repetitive sentences. I am aware that I often say the same thing using a variety of sentences. Thank you Mr. Fisher and Ms. Frey for generating this awareness. Deborah, I would like to learn more about the “I think” problem solving model and plan to ask you to share more about this with me.
1. I think I can work harder to find more opportunities for students to collaborate in class. I feel like I do a pretty good job with gradual release in Kindergarten. However, I would like to explore more options for collaboration among the students.
ReplyDelete2. I would like to focus on more specific instructions without saying the same thing 10 different ways. However, in kindergarten, we often have to explain things that way. I think I can also do a better job of telling the students “why” we are learning these skills.